Tuesday, October 7, 2014

week 14

So it's been another wonderful week here in Fenton.
A few really neat things happened this week.
We had two of our investigators watch a session of Conference which was great! The first one, Catfish, came with us to the Saturday Afternoon session. After it was over, we talked with her, but she hadn't really changed her mind at all about the fact that there is one true church. So we went to dinner, and in the prayer I asked that Catfish's heart would be softened. That night at the priesthood session, she called us and told us that everything finally had clicked in her head! One of her friends had been talking been talking to her and convinced her that she basically was already living like a member of this church. It was so neat to watch the Lord work through others to help soften her heart.
Our other investigator, Ed, attended the Saturday morning session with a member at a different building. We went and talked with him Saturday evening about what he thought about Conference. He agreed with everything that was spoken about, which was good, but he still didn't feel that he needed to leave his church. While we were talking to him, I was overcome with love for this wonderful man. I realized that God loves him regardless of his choices, and He will never stop loving him. Ed just isn't ready at this time to make that big of a change in his life. It made me think of a ladder that we are all climbing in life. We are all on different rungs on that ladder that leads to heaven, but regardless of where we are, Christ is always above us, reaching His hand to us so that he can pull us up to the next rung.
What an important lesson for me to learn right after Conference. It helped me realize better the meaning of President Uchtdorf's talk in the Priesthood session about each of us asking, "Lord, Is it I?" I hope that each of us will be humble enough to accept the Savior's outstretched hand and let Him pull us up to the next rung. It will often be hard to climb to a higher level and realize how high we are above the ground, but just remember to not look down. Always keep your eyes on the Savior, and be ready to accept His wonderful Atonement in our lives, no matter what we have to sacrifice.
Another highlight for this week was getting transfer calls Saturday night. I'm headed off to Weldon Springs, Missouri, where I will be serving with Elder Jones. It was a little hard to be called off somewhere else right when there are so many good things happening in this area, but a scripture that I read this week really helped me to understand better what my attitude should be like:
"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy. And behold, when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember what the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heard my prayer; yea, then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me." (Alma 29:9-10)
What a wonderful blessing it is to realize "what the Lord had done" for each of us. And what a greater blessing it is to be able to share that with so many wonderful people, and and have "my soul filled with joy" from seeing others climb to the next rung on their eternal journey. 
I love you all, and I love this work.
The Church is True!
Love,
Elder Fullmer

[Here are a few photos that he sent today:]

Inline image 2
Peter was impressed that gas could drop below $3/gal. That's something we haven't seen in far too long!

Inline image 3
Panorama showing the fall colors starting to come in.

Inline image 5
Reese's graham cracker treat. He said it was delicious!

Inline image 1
On a visit to the St. Louis Science Center, Peter found something he thought Hannah would enjoy--a laser harp!

Inline image 4
His investigator, Ed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment